‘Sri dalada maligawa ‘Temple of the sacred tooth relic
The Sri Dalada Maligawa is the temple where the tooth relic of the Buddha is placed. The present Dalada Maligawa is located in the city of Kandy in Sri Lanka. During the Kandyan Kingdom(1592 to 1815), it was housed within the royal palace complex.
This is the highest place of worship in the country as the left tooth relic of the Supreme Buddha is located here. The whole island has been offered to the Tooth Relic. ” Buddhists think this is the most precious thing in the world.” This indicates that the Tooth Relic had become a very sacred object.
Literary sources and archaeological sources confirm that the Temple of the Tooth was located in the capitals of Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Dambadeniya, Yapahuwa, Kurunegala, Gampola and Kotte. According to the Mahavamsa and the Dalada Vamsa, the Temple of the Tooth was the first temple in the Kingdom of Kandy to be built.
By King Wimaladharmasooriya I ( 1592-1604). This palace was built near his palace and was two storeys high. The Eludadala Vamsa states that he again converted it into a three-storied mansion. King Rajasinghe II, who succeeded to the throne after King Senarath, established peace between the enemies of the country and made the old Temple of the Tooth a two-storied Tooth Relic
The Mahavamsa states that King Wimaladharmasuriya II also built a Sri Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth) after this. It has been described as a beautiful three-story mansion shining with charming industries. By the early 18th century, the mansion was in a state of complete disrepair. Therefore, the heroic King Narendrasinghe built the three-storied mansion in two storeys. After that King Vijaya Rajasinghe who came to power performed the Dalada Pooja and decorated the Temple of the Tooth with elaborate ornaments. King Keerthi Sri Rajasinghe also decorated the Sri Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth).
King Sri Rajadhirajasinghe, like the previous kings, did not violate the sacred Tooth Relic and the last king of Sinhala, Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe, added a new feature to the Temple of the Tooth and built the Patthirippu. According to these historical descriptions of the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy in the Mahavamsa and the Tooth Relic, the present Temple of the Tooth can be mentioned as the temple built during the reign of King Sri Weera Parakannarama Narendrasinghe.
The Sri Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth) is built on high ground with royal buildings on the east side of the city. At present the Udawatte forest is to the east of the area, the Bogambara Lake to the south, the old royal palace to the north and the Natha Devalaya to the west. Thus, based on the Temple of the Tooth, a variety of works of art were created around it. It seems that Sri Lankan architecture, painting, sculpture, carving and many other minor works of art developed especially through this. It all developed in a Buddhist conceptual context.
Among the creations that emerged was the Temple of the Tooth, the Moonstone, the Wahalkada, the pair of ivory carvings, the porch at the entrance to the Temple of the Tooth, the stone door with a crocodile face and a dragon pandal, the Hewitt Pavilion, the Pallamalaya, the Patthirippu, the interior of the Sri Dalada Maligawa ( Temple of the Tooth), and the Temple of the Tooth. Downstairs in the palace is the stone doorway, the scent chamber, and the painting. Here, the architecture of the Temple of the Tooth can be considered as an architecture that resonates well. Today it is also used as a symbol of the Sri Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth) in Kandy.
It has been mentioned earlier that Patthirippu was later added to the Sri Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth). The octagonal sheet is built on a double base. Its original base is submerged in a moat, and the protruding part of the moat consists of a rectangular ridge and an inflectional pad, with a straight face and an excerpted pad. The next section concludes with three columns on top of each other, with an inflectional pad, a straight face, a Kumudum, and an excerpt. On it is a section that rises directly like a wall. Parallel forged columns have been set up to eliminate its simplicity. Here on one side of the octagonal base is a dragon pandal with a mouth of glory in the middle. It is designed in the form of a fake entrance door. Then the wall rises. It’s simple. But the chamomile loses its simplicity due to the horizontal scattering. This is an octagonal house so it has eight entrances.
The roof rests on eight octagonal towers. These towers consist of double tower heads arranged at the beginning and end. The lower part of the pillars is decorated with Naipenas and the upper part is decorated with Bopath Kagul. At the end of the roof, the rafters used for the Kanimadaleni roof can also be seen carved in a rhythmic pattern. The patio consists of two floors, with three entrances to the ground floor. It has two doors on either side and a wooden staircase leading down from the inside. There are two ways to reach Patthirippu. One can be accessed from the front porch of the downstairs room and the other is the door to the right of the Pagnaradhana entrance with a stone dragon image.
Today, Paththirippu is used as the library of the Sri Dalada Maligawa ( Temple of the Tooth) and houses a number of valuable books and relics. According to Ananda Coomaraswamy, the Patthirippu was used by the king and queens to watch the Dalada Perahera. Accordingly, the historical history of the Sri Dalada Maligawa ( Temple of the Tooth) can be presented and it is a rare treasure for the devotees who visit the Temple of the Tooth as well as a living presentation of the rare rituals performed for it as well as an extremely sensitive experience in life.
Who built sri dalada maligawa ?
The Sri Dalada Maligawa was first built by king Wimaldharmasooriya (1592-1604). The Sri Dalada Maligawa which he built was destroyed by the Portuguese invaders.
The present old two-storied palace was built by King Sri Weeraparakrama Narendrasinge (1707-1739). Even the Tamil Kings of the Nayakkar dynasty who came to visit the temple developed and preserved the Dalada Maligawa.
The city of Kandy, where the temple of the tooth is situated, has been declared a world heritage site by UNESCO.
Malwatte and Asgiri monks offer sacrifices to the sacred tooth relic on a daily basis. This pooja is performed three times a day (Morning afternoon and evening).On Wednesday, The Nanamura festival is held as a special pooja. The sacred tooth relic is bathed in aromatic water. It is believed that the bathwater has a healing effect.
In the early days, Kandy was known as “Sri Senkanda beneficiary Sri Vardhanapura” Sriwardena, son -in the law of king Parakrambahu IV (302-1326 AD) of the kingdom of Dambadeni, was the ruler of the kingdom In 1312, a town called Senkadagala Sriwardenapuraya was established near the area now known as Katupulle.
Another legend says that the town was named after a brahmin named Senkanda and that the city was named after Senkada, The goddess of the king Vickrmabahu 111, it is based on a red-coloured stone called Senkadagala.
The Natha Devalaya for the goddess Dalada and Lokeshwara Natha deva was built in the reign of king Wickremabahu 111 (1357-1374 AD).The ruler of the Gampola kingdom. Asgiriya vihara as mentioned in the Yasgiri Paltha was also started. These are the oldest buildings in Kandy. Senaka Wickrmabahu (1469-1511 AD)
Descended from the Gampola royal family, was named Senkandagala Pura. He was the founder of the Kandyan kingdom. The buddha’s sacred relics have made a great contribution to the publication of the buddha statue, a two-storied Poya house, 86 monks, and the relics and statues.
King Jayaweera(1511-1552 AD), Karaliyadda Bandara(1552-1582 AD), Wimaladharmasuriya(1590-1604 AD), The last king of the Sinhalese, Sri Wickrema Rajasinghe (1978-1815 AD) 10 have taken over the Kandyan kingdom.
It was the king’s responsibility to protect the sacred tooth relic, which was recognized as the ruler of the country. King Wimaladharmasooriya 11 made a three stried palace and built the Magul Madhu and Paththippuwa Devendra and Mulachariya.
Buildings of the dalada Maligaya
C. Built between 1805 and 1812 The architectural design was done by alakeshwara dingirippu alias devendra mulachari.